Lead Research Groups
The Ph.D. Programme
We welcome applications from all UK, EU and overseas students however please note that there are restrictions on eligibility for Scholarships. Please visit the scholarship page.The Ph.D. in Media and Arts Technology is an innovative 4 year programme, unique in the UK, that comprises three main components.
- - A series of advanced taught modules normally completed during the first three years
- - An advanced placement project with an industrial partner
- - A Ph.D. research project examined by thesis and, where appropriate, portfolio.
On entry to the programme you will be given a personal needs training assessment that will identify the areas of expertise you will develop over the course of the programme. We offer advanced modules which cover topics ranging from advanced technical skills through human interaction to performance and live art. We also offer training in professional skills including entrepreneurship and technology transfer.
Structure of the Programme - The Masters by research follows the same programme as year 1 of the 4 year PhD:In the first 2 semesters all students on will take four specially tailored core modules and two option modules:
- - Advanced Research Methods
- - Interactive Digital Multimedia Techniques ~ we use Arduino, processing and even dabble with Raspberry Pi to learn programming and electronics hacking - see activities page for flikr images and our vimeo channel of work completed.
- - Audio Production Techniques ~ we use Logic for audio post production and teach recording techniques.
- -Digital Arts Documetary ~ We teach documentary methods, camera use and editing to make work based around media art themes - see activites pages for vimeo channel to see work produced.
You will also select one optional course from a list of options. In 2013 we expect this to include:
|ELEM020||Fundamentals of Digital Signal Processing|
|ELEM 039||Java Programming|
|AMCM059||Design for Human Interaction|
|AMCM005||Computer Vision and Neural Networks|
|AMCM053||C++ for Image Processing|
|AMCM046||Foundations of Information Retrieval|
|AMCM043||XML and Structured Information|
|AMCM054||Distributed Systems and Security|
You also undertake preparation for your 5 month Advanced Placement Project, with either one of our creative sector partners or with a research partner in a different discipline e.g. Queen Mary's School of Business and Management or Department of Drama or, where appropriate, collaborating departments in other Universities. The masters programme ends after 1 year ie end of September.
For the PhD at the end of the first year your progress will be reviewed and, in negotiation with your supervisors a Ph.D. topic selected. You will also select another four advanced options (see below) to support your research.
|ELEM018||Advanced Transform Methods|
|ELEM035||Music Analysis and Synthesis|
|ELEM036||Digital Audio Effects|
|ELEM021||Music and Speech Processing|
|ELEM023||Image and Video Processing|
|AMCM055||Software Risk Assessment|
|AMCM016||Interactive Systems Design|
|AMCM058||Advanced Database Systems and Technologies|
|AMCM048||Advanced Program Design (in Java)|
|AMCM047||Special Topics in Information Retrieval|
|AMCM049||Specification And Verification|
|AMCM050||Techniques in Computer Vision|
|AMCM051||The Semantic Web|
|BUSM042||Knowledge and Innovation Management|
|BUSM058||Understanding Consumer Behaviour|
|BUSM062||Public Advocay Marketing|
|GEG7102||Art, Performance and the City|
|DRA7706||Theatre and Performance Theory|
|PFRM7708||Contemporary Theatre and Performance B|
Examination of the Ph.D. is either by thesis or, where appropriate, by thesis and portfolio.
These options are selected from those available last year. The exact list of options available to be confirmed.